Thursday, July 2, 2009

I Love America!

Why does it seems somewhat cheesy to be openly patriotic? After 9/11, American flag t-shirts were worn by everyone and people flew flags all over the place. Then after awhile people didn't like the war or Bush anymore, and we stopped flying flags and starting getting cynical. Enter Obama, and now tons of people once again have "hope". This is just crazy to me - it's been the same American all along! Regardless of what political party you associate yourself with or how you feel about the way American is going, we still live in an amazing country of which we can all be proud. 4th of July is right around the corner, and I anticipate tears once again flowing down my face as I hear the national anthem and watch the fireworks. I refuse to complain, put down President Obama, or point out ways "things just aren't like they used to be!". Things do change. God told us they would. I am on the look out for ways He tells me to speak out and to do what I can to uphold the values important to both He and I, and while I am looking for those things I will also continue to notice the things everywhere that make American beautiful to me - churches and businesses of all kinds, people of all races going about their days doing things they need and want to do, things that brings them fulfillment. These are things we take for granted, the freedoms most important and unique to America, and they have remained no matter who was president. When my daughters ask if they can be a certain profession, which they do often, I am overjoyed everytime to tell them that they can do whatever God calls them to do. I LOVE this country, and I'm not going let myself feel cheesy for saying it!!! =)

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! I remember after 911 people were driving around with flags on their cars (hanging out their windows).

    Like you said, flags hanging out at houses, and flag t-shirts. I remember counting a huge amount of flags as we drove to the store one day.

    I too appreciate my freedom, and the men and women (past and present) who have fought for it.

    ReplyDelete