Thursday, July 16, 2009

You May Be Homeschooled If...

I was homeschooled every year but 8th grade, which was sometimes difficult because of the stigma homeschooling carried back then. On a ski trip when I was about 14, my best friend and I were asked by the ski instructor what school we attended. We told him we were homeschooled, and he proceeded to tell the rest of the class very matter-off-factly that homeschooling is for children who were behind or had been abused! Yikes! Finally, in my adult life, I've ceased to be embarrassed about the fact that I was homeschooled and have begun to be okay with it, even proud. Now I know what a great and interesting education I received, and I now I hear other moms saying, "Oh, wow, I wish I had been - I'm going to homeschool my kids!" Turns out homeschooling isn't just for weirdos anymore. There were times as a kid that I loathed being homeschooled. I mean, the humiliation of being different is just too much to bear when you're 12 years old and wanting to just blend in! Instead, we'd go to the grocery store at 11am and the clerk would innocently ask, "Hey there kids, school holiday?" Before I could mumble a quick, "Oh, um, just got out early!" Mom would answer loudly enough for the whole store to hear, "WE HOMESCHOOL!!!!" At least it seemed that way. It seemed like she might as well have grabbed the little microphone they use to announce the sale at the deli or "5 minutes till closing" and declared to the entire store over the PA that I was, indeed, an oddball. *Sigh* But I really wasn't bitter. Just a bit embarrassed. I grew up with it, and I didn't know just how different my school experience actually was until I became an adult! Things just keep coming up. For instance, I still have no idea what a public school cafeteria looks like. I don't understand going to school with 400 + other kids...of your exact same age. I was recently overwhelmed with disgust when we attended a church held at a high school and I used the women's bathroom - horrific! And the graffiti! I can't imagine what it must be like to have to use a facility like that every day! (I became quite convinced that if we respected those kids enough to give them a decent bathroom, they just might respect themselves a bit more and problems with poor grades and drugs and violence might improve...I wish I could test that theory somehow. ) And language - this is a funny one. Occasionally, even still, a slang word or phrase will be on TV or something, and I'll have to ask my husband what it means because I have no idea. Usually it's not something that benefited him to have learned in high school, and it's just another indication that I was homeschooled and didn't have to listen to garbage all day from my peers! Yes, I suppose I was "sheltered" a bit if you will, but only from junk that no kid needs to be exposed to. I was given all kinds of opportunities to dive into things I loved - writing, singing, and dancing, for example, and able to spend more time studying certain areas of science that I was fascinated by, like natural disasters and weather. I went on field trips several times a month, and Mom could fit learning into experiences that I found purely fun. And, oh yeah, I did have friends. That was the question EVERYONE loved to ask. ( "You're homeschooled? So, like, how do you socialize?") Youth group, various classes I took, homeschool functions, 4-H...yes, I was around many people and made many friends! Some of my best friends are ones I've known since I was in elementary school, and we grew up homeschooling together. Since homeschooling will probably never be mainstream, there will certainly always be jokes around it, but who cares? I kinda like the fact that if I don't "get" something most people picked up from their peers in high school I can smile and say, "Sorry, I was homeschooled!" Always gets a laugh out of people. ;)
You May Be a Homeschooler If...
1. You have only a few classmates, and they all have your same last name.
2. Part of your school work is to help with yard work and learn how to build a shed with Dad on Saturday.
3. You have a choice of 5 guys to have a crush on - they're the only ones you know who are the same age as you.
4. The word "homework" doesn't make any sense to you.
5. Your teacher can ground you for not finishing your math in a timely fashion.

4 comments:

  1. 6. Every family vacation means you WILL be writing reports about the vacation, and researching stuff ABOUT the vacation spot before you go.

    Try having gone to the grocery store with your mom and 5 kids in the middle of the day...ya...totally obvious. I always loved the socialization question too...DUH, we hardly had time to do school work because we did so many classes and group things!

    By the way, I've mentioned it before, but I LOVED the field trips that your mom took us on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a slightly different perspective since I was not home schooled until high school. It was such a welcome change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to have my husband explain a phrase to me the other night. :) Another one I'm glad I never learned the meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. Yes, as a homeschooling mom, I got to answer those questions, too. Once at a pool party, I was asked by a group of moms where my kids were going to school. I was brand new at homeschooling, and excited to share that we'd be doing it. Our pastor's wife quickly replied,"o, I pray the Lord delivers you from THAT!". I was crushed. My hubby & I were newly on staff there.

    It seems every church we've been in, I have been questioned by concerned, but hopefully well-meaning people. I would never question another parent's choice of schooling for their kids. I don't know why people get so defensive when others do something different.

    All of you moms are a beautiful testimony to the success of homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete